24 September 2008

Remembering Capt. Bruno de Solenni

Kathryn Jean Lopez, whom I had the pleasure to meet at the RNC, posted a letter at The Corner written by a soldier to his hometown paper just a few days before he was killed by an IED. With a buddy in Afghanistan (knock on wood), this really impacted me.
The bad days are when you put your buddy in a body bag and you don't even recognize him because his limbs are missing and there holes in him everywhere. The miracles are when his last words are, "tell my wife and kids I love them," before he dies in his best friend's arms after struggling for several agonizing minutes to get the words out because there is a fist-size hole in his head.

And last but not least, the best days are when an Afghan comes up to you thanking you for everything that you have done to help them and for making their (home) a better place now that the Taliban are gone.

If anything, this is probably the biggest reason why I proudly enjoy being over here. I can't explain it to anyone and there is no description of what it feels like, but it was the same feeling I got when I was in Iraq as well. And I am sure it's the same feeling that generations of American soldiers before me have gotten as they fought and sacrificed their lives for the freedoms that we enjoy today.

Perhaps the biggest thing that has made being over here much more bearable, is the amount of public support that we have received from people. Getting a care package or a letter of support when you are out in the middle of nowhere from a complete stranger, thanking you, does make the day seem a little better.
(h/t DrewM @ Ace)


If you have tips, questions, comments or suggestions, email me at lybberty@gmail.com.

StatCounter