29 October 2008

Brief Defense Of Conservatism

One of the best defenses of conservatism comes, ironically, from the left. Joan Chevalier, essayist & speechwriter, writing in the Boston Globe:
According to The Huffington Post, Obama's lack of experience is immune from criticism because he attended Ivy League schools, "was a serious and successful student," is a well-traveled, published author, and has a diverse background. Heck, he's me!

Yet, in every one of my encounters with America's rural communities, the diversity of my privileged experience was eclipsed by the depth of theirs. I had rhetoric; they had well-measured speech, punctuated by forbearing silences. I had easy answers; they knew there was no such thing.

It is not that the Republican base is anti-intellectual, as David Broder claims; they are anti-elitist. An Ivy League education is hardly a universal signal of competence in anything other than the liberal cultural canon.

(emphasis added)

I agree.


If you have tips, questions, comments or suggestions, email me at lybberty@gmail.com.

StatCounter