31 October 2005

Top 6, Bottom 4

Strung out on Pop Tarts and Diet Dr. Pepper, I take a break from our Madden 2006 league and a history paper to bring you this week's list of 10. There are good things and there are bad things. This list brings you a little of both.

Top 6

1. University of Southern California Trojans
Does anyone or anything else even come close to deserving the Top Spot? They steam-rolled Wazzu and continue to defy the East Coast Bias--kind of like my flag football team. They, like us, will only end their run with a championship. Hey NCAA (and flag football chumps), why don't you just concede SC's (and our) complete and total domination? Do Vince and Co. or Vick and Co. honestly think they have a snowball's chance of beating SC at the end of the year? Give me a break.

2. BYU Cougarettes
Once I tired of watching BYU and Air Force trade TDs I became engrossed in counting the leg kicks of the Cougarettes--BYU's elite dance team. Though I lost count once they got into triple digits, I'm told they did in excess of 300. What athleticism.

3. Cookies
I like chocolate chip, oatmeal, and the ones with frosting and candy corn. I like 'em with nuts, without nuts, with peanut butter chips and peanut butter filling. I like 'em hot, with milk, and at breakfast--I once lived off my Aunt's famous "monster" cookies for a week. If you haven't had a cookie before I highly recommend you try one.

4. Paul Walker
He burst onto the scene with an amazing performance in "She's All That"--a performance that should have netted him the award for Best Supporting Actor. In Fast and the Furious he showed his incredible ability to carry a film on the sheer genius of his acting ability. That he didn't win Best actor for that effort was a travesty. In 2 Fast 2 Furious the Academy had a chance to redeem themselves. In what can only be explained by an ice-skating-judge like scandal (think Winter Olympics 2002) he lost once again to far less deserving actors. In "Into the Blue" he teams with the always-excellent Jessica Alba to create a movie that should win John Stockwell his first Academy Award for Best Director. The Academy should also take advantage of this opportunity to right a wrong and give PW the Award for Best Actor.

5. ConSource
On Friday I watched BYU women's soccer play a tough match against Utah. They played hard and well against their rival to the north and ended a cold, wet night in a tie. While at the game my friend and I discussed many of the world's problems. After a bucket o popcorn and several cups of hot chocolate we had most of them resolved--all in a night's work. Among the topics we discussed was his involvement with ConSource. This is a project that seeks to "[create] the first complete and fully searchable online database of original source materials for the United States Constitution." This is an endeavor that deserves much more press and support. Look for a lengthy post on ConSource in the days to come.

6. Southridge Suns
I think their snub in the last couple Top 10s inspired them in their destruction of cross-town rival Kamiakin. Braves head coach Craig Beverlin had this to say about SHS and Suns QB Jason Munns, "I've been coaching for a long time, and that's one of the better teams I've ever coached against," Beverlin said. "Being one of the oldest guys (in the Big Nine) sometimes I get deja vu; I thought I saw (Drew) Bledsoe out there. I coached against Bledsoe, and I've felt that Munns is an oncoming Bledsoe-type athlete. He did nothing to change my opinion tonight." I've been saying this for a year now and I will repeat it on the record here: Munns will be the top recruit out of the state of Washington and probably the top QB in the West next year. I could probably make a good case for him this year as a junior. BYU would do well to offer (a scholarship) early and follow up often. To read more about the game and see video highlights of the #1 team in Washington click here.

Bottom 4

4. Fantasy Football
When I win all is good and I can enjoy NFL Primtime, popcorn, chicken nuggets, peanuts, and a Sunday nap. When I lose (like this week) I cuss my players, beat up my roommates, and turn my Top 10 into a Top 6. How is it that my kicker scores more points than my QB, RBs, & WRs combined?

3. "Prime"
This film with Meryl Streep and Uma Thurman is not worth the film on which it was recorded. Gratuitous discussions of human anatomy didn't help its cause. You'd be better served viewing "Into the Blue" or renting some other movie with the iconic Paul Walker.

2. Hurricane Wilma
I'm tired of hurricanes hitting my country and countries I want to visit over Thanksgiving break. I call on all responsible members of government to pour endless amounts of money into R&D in an effort to discover the cure to hurricanes. Stop them before they take another American city or Mexican vacation spot.

1. Halloween
I know I'll take heat for this one, but I really don't like this holiday. Thanksgiving I love and Christmas too. I like fireworks on the 4th and waterskiing on Labor and Memorial days. President's and MLK days are great for snow skiing. Halloween is great for... what? During the aforementioned world-problem-solving session at the women's soccer game, my friend and I discussed this holiday. We think (and I'd be interested to read comments) that Halloween presents an opportunity for members of both sexes to dress and act in ways that they would not otherwise. This much is obvious. What makes our theory unique is the thought that the way they dress and act is how they would like to all the time--were there no societal restrictions or repercussions. People-watching at not a few Halloween gettogethers provided the evidence for this admittedly unscientific theory. What's more is the general tomfoolery that goes on during this weekend. Have you ever been "egged" before? I have and it sucks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the risk of bringing down the wrath once again of the anonymous crowd, I would like to post a link to an excellent article regarding the recent traveshamockery that is the contract extension of "The Great Weiss Hope." I don't know how to write hyperlinks so just copy and paste this: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/051101
into your browser. I would feel the same if Bronco was given an extension or if any other coach regardless of race was given an extension under the same circumstances. Flame away anonymous masses.

matt said...

Does the word JONG mean anything to anybody who reads this? Or is that just on Powdermag.com's message boards?

I must agree with the Paul Walker talk, though the only way to right the horrible wrong that they did would be to award him with the Lifetime Achievement Award. Then and only then would my faith in Hollywood and the Academy be restored.

A note on the Suns (warning: if you are not from the Tri-Cities are of washington, you may not find this all that interesting)--any rematch between them and Pasco would yield yet another Suns win. Those who bleed purple are just having a FIT over the fact that there is a new leader in the Big Nine, and try as they might to convince themselves that Pasco would win were they to play again, they are absolutely wrong. Southridge did not put together a complete game until just a couple of weeks ago, and regardless of how much Pasco has improved, it can't compare with the strides that the Suns have made on both sides of the ball. 4A State champs this year? My money is on the boys in blue.

Anonymous said...

When are you all coming over to the Best Side for the SHS crowning at the State Tournament. I thought I would see the Suns above cookies (Cougarettes, no) but Ill let it slide. WE BEAT KaHS! For the first time (we beat the Braves) and for the first birth in Districts... I don't know if Im ready to jump on with Craig Beverlin about Munns. I think Beverlin was mentioned in the BALCO case. I watched a lot of Drew growing up and his accuracy was uncanny, though this Munns guy makes up for it with his size...As a guy who started his fantasy season 5-0 and then has fallen 0-3, I understand your fellings completely... I hope the young NBA season makes your lists soon. My Soncis look hot and my Lakers have the zen-master back. KOBE FOR MVP!

Anonymous said...

Excuse the double-post, I would like to read your thoughts on the proposed Big Nine shake-up. Or rather the different possibilities. I have been following and reflecting on the issue a lot and am planning on writing some letters, I think we should try and concentrate efforts.

Kalie said...

Hey. Mom loved that you mentioned her cookies... start watching your mail... :D

StatCounter