19 October 2005

Fantasy Football and other wastes of time...

Who knew fantasy football was this much fun? Apologies to Matt for telling him to sub for Bears RB Thomas Jones. He promptly scored 2 TDs Sunday which would have more than made up the difference in his loss to Jesse Jenkins and his jugger'not' of a team--"Get Off My Lawn." When we held our draft before the season we all sat around and made fun of Morgan for his bad draft picks. Since Week 1 we have taken turns getting beat by Morgan's Crips. Just remember Morgan, your wins come on the back of Shaun Alexander and the #1 offense in the NFL.

I've had an ongoing conversation with several people about the nature of text messages. Some friends use them extensively and almost exclusively. Another friend refuses to text and considers them the lowest form of communication. One friend recently showed me his typed copy of a three day textathon with a girl he had not yet met. Apparently he successfully set up a dinner-date. I'll find out tomorrow if it was what he expected. Still others are wholeheartedly disgusted when they receive mass texts. I must admit, I have sometimes been guilty of the latter, but am determined to personalize in the future. I'd be interested to see comments on text messaging...

Thanks to Fernando ((thanks also for teaching me how to write hyperlinks into my posts)) for his abbreviated evaluation of the new video iPods. I generally read Walt Mossberg of the WSJ (Wall Street Journal) for my tech reviews. You can't access them without a membership so when he writes his review of the new iPods I will post excerpts here.

Final thoughts- Please attach names to comments. Please keep them clean, I don't want to delete, but I reserve that right if necessary. Please address me as "Jake" or if you must, "Mr. Lybbert." If you have requests on topics to address, let me know. Right now I'm working on a column of sorts about immigration in response to some of the comments and emails I have received.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my defense, I think there was a conspiracy against me with regards to the fantasy football league. As I recall, I was forced to participate remotely by phone. Also, everytime I asked a question like "is a certain player available?" I was greeted more times than not by a no and then laughter so I am not sure I was receiving accurate information. Finally, the draft was supposed to occur at a set time, next thing I know it was pushed back and then pushed back even later in a devious attempt to START after my bedtime. I am an old man and I definately am not getting prettier with age so I need all the beauty sleep I can get. So in summation your feeble attempts at handicapping me based on past performance were sophmoric at best and dare I say similar to those of Notre Dame vs USC. It is with great pride that I stand alone atop the fantasy football heap. The trials have only made my team stronger. They have served as a rallying point in a "us against the world" scenario and for that I thank you. I will post my text messaging thoughts later today. I really need to start my own blog. This is too much fun.

Fernando said...

I am a firm believer in texting. Maybe it's because I have unlimited texting on my account? Here are my reasons though:

1) Sometimes you just want to ask a person a question and that's it. You don't have time for a conversation.
2) You're in the middle of a boring class and it provides entertainment.
3) It's a new way to flirt (see Jake's friend's example or see my roommate, Mark).
4) It's a great way to spread the word regarding an event (e.g., a party, a concert, etc.)

Some other reasons people use texting:
5) They're too shy to speak to a person on the phone.
6) They really don't want to talk to you, but know you'll probably find out about the party, so this is an easy to inform you w/o having to speak to you.
7) It's rude to be blabbing loudly on your phone in public places, so texting is a quiet way to communicate (the same applies w/ LOUD ringers!)
8) You can be set up on a date (see Om Malik's Blog, SMS Dating, or NZ Girl — reason #8 is similar to reason #3)
9) You need to read the bible

Regarding FF, Jake tried to get me to do that back in the day, but I never did. I enjoy sports, but I don't follow them as closely as Jake does, so I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Fernando said...

Here's a review of the video iPod from the LA Times.

Anonymous said...

I would like to let it bet known that the great lbc crips have been taken down once again. placing myself atop the heap that is Broke Phi Broke

Anonymous said...

Mr. Lybbert, I mean Jake, whatever we'll say LYBBERT...that's it...I think that texting is the best way to while away a boring class, or sacrament meeting and firmly believe with every fiber of my being that texting is DIVINE in its origin. I look at it like this...why waste precious cell minutes talking about nothing when for $5 (That's what unlimited text's go for at Sprint) a month you can ramble on an on in texts about the same stuff at virtually no cost. Also you can send the same messages to several people at the same time and simultaneously have 3-4 conversations...try doing that by TALKING on a cell phone HA! Talking is passe. I think that those people who believe that txting is the lowest form of conversation should just realize...."Hey, you don't have any friends" and then move on.

Anonymous said...

Please Mark, before you start running your mouth you should let ALL the games be played. That way you won't look like a fool mister 4 and 3, middle of the pack. LBC still on top.

StatCounter