(no offense to my Canadian readers)
We're close and closing. And anyway, nobody knows what to expect with the polls this year. They were wildly inaccurate during the primaries and they've been all over the place the last few weeks. The word "volatile" comes to mind.
Whether you are in a Battleground state for McCain, California for Proposition 8, or Washington State for Dino Rossi, volunteer a little time and make some calls or pound the pavement and visit some Republicans & undecideds.
PUT JOHN McCAIN & SARAH PALIN IN THE WHITE HOUSE?
PASS PROPOSITION 8?
GET DINO ROSSI ELECTED?
MAINTAIN A FILIBUSTER IN THE SENATE?
YES WE CAN!!!!!1!!!
UPDATE 31 October 12:45pm BST: A little research has revealed an interesting fact: During the primaries, Barack Obama performed, on average, 2.8 points worse than he polled in the 3 days leading up to the election.
Call this whatever you want, I call this hope we can believe in.
Also, be sure and check out the Iowahawk post I linked to earlier today. His explanation of the statistics behind polling should also provide a bit of optimistic comfort.
Finally, I don't know how I missed this before: For all those of you who, like me, can't get to a McCain camp calling center, for whatever reason, click here, to sign up to make calls online. Even if you can only do it for 15 mins--do it. Do it for 15 mins every day from now until the election.
For advice and more on how to successfully do this, check out Gabriel Malor's post at Ace.
UPDATE 1 November 2:08am BST: I've got GOTV information for my favorite states. I narrowed down from the Top 10 states in terms of visits to OL&L to the states that could impact things. They are:
- California w/Prop 8 and the fact that so many of you are from there and can call out.Anyway, thanks to Fernando M. for hosting the spreadsheet with all the info. Click here to download and get to work.
- Pennsylvania. Yep, I was surprised too. There are quite a few of you PA readers. And you live in a hotly contested state.
- Virginia - We'll see if this traditionally red state is really going to go for Obama. In fact, this will be an early bellweather on election night. You readers get out and do your job: make calls for McCain.
- Washington - Do what you can for Dino Rossi and make calls into other states.
- I think there's a Georgia Victory Center listed in there somewhere too. Lots of Georgia readers. Thanks, guys.
Alternatively, you can always make calls from the safety of your own home by using your computer.
UPDATE 2 November 12:47am BST: In cased you missed it.... Zogby's 1 day polling puts McCain up by 1--48-47. It ain't over till it's over.
UPDATE 3 November 1:40am BST: TIPP has it Obama 46, McCain 44. And remember, Obama, Guitar Hero* performs 2.8% worse than he polls.
Yeah he does.
*Over-the-top performance, no real skill or experience.
If you have tips, questions, comments or suggestions, email me at email@example.com.