07 November 2005

Vegas Top 10

From the swirl of brights lights, black jack and bbq comes this weeks Top 10--delayed somewhat by a road trip and change in time zone.

1. Go Trojans!
Yet another pretender to the crown (V-Tech) bit the dust this week. I imagine 'Bama and their fans are crying about being snubbed in favor of Texas. To Alabama: cry some more. If you don't get beat by LSU you'll get beat by Auburn.

2. My LV Mother
Everybody should have one. My Las Vegas mother housed us, fed us, and amongst the ills of LV, kept us safe. Thanks to Karen and Leesee for taking care of us this past weekend.

3. Seinfeld
In case you forgot how good this show was you should promptly go to Costco and buy seasons 1-4 on DVD. Matt and I did just that and watched 8 episodes on the way down and 4 on the way back. Any coincidence that I was eating an apple while talking to a cute girl in the hall today? I think not.

4. Southridge Football
They walloped Walla Walla on Thursday en route to their first ever 10-0 season and Big 9 championship. Before the game I called up their special teams unit and gave them a few tips. I noted that the weather forecast called for high winds. Wind combined with the turf of Lampson stadium created a unique opportunity to try out a little theory of mine. After their defense dominated woeful WaHi near their endzone I instructed them to closely watch the ball and avoid touhing it; that it would sail high into the air and bounce back toward the goal line giving SHS a chance for a TD or safety. They did just that and watched as WaHi punted out of their own endzone in the air to about the 30 where the wind caught it pushing it backwards. It landed, bounced, and rolled toward the endzone where the pitiful Blue Devils attempted to knock it out of bounds to avoid the TD. They got lucky and SHS only got a safety. Oh well, my advice was heeded and they trounced the Walla Walla Bumpkins, er, Blue Devils.

5. Seattle Seahawks
Last Sunday the hapless Cardinals were plucked, roasted, and devoured by my Seahawks. After Shaun Alexander narrowly missed winning the rushing title last year to the much less talented Corey Dillon I told him he would have another shot, and he has. The only thing that ticks me off is that he is not on my fantasy football team.

6. GWB
The Commander-in-Chief made a bold and courageous decision and dialed up Sam Alito as the next Supreme Court Justice. But wait, there's more, this is just the first step on his path to reclaim the mandate of the 2004 Presidential election.

7. Grandma and Grandpa Torgersen
My maternal grandparents fed us some delicious chili potatoes on the way home from Vegas yesterday (Sunday). While there I found out my connection to USC (and thus my legitimacy as a fan) runs deeper than I thought. While in dental school, my grandfather worked as an usher at the Coliseum so he could watch SC games. Taking a job to watch your team play because your finances are tight? That makes for a true fan.

8. Rosa Parks
Just goes to show you can start major movements while remaining on your posterior. Lets hope her passing does not mark the passing of courage like hers--the courage to fight for a good cause.

9. Pizzookies
I was introduced to this creation of creations Saturday night at "BJ's," a great restaurant in Vegas. This dessert combines two of my favorites--cookies and ice cream--to become perhaps the greatest treat ever.

10. My Flag Football Team
We demolished our first opponent and had a gut-check against the 2nd team. They were the most athletic team we had played yet, but all it took was a few defensive adjustments and we won. The rest of the bracket better watch out, we won't let another team sneak up on us like that one.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

MAN what the freaking heck. maybe you just like usc so much cause they always win. It takes a true fan to love a team win or loose. some teams have off nights everynow and then. like for instance my fabulous hokies. that was not a game to judge their skills they were incredibly off that night and miami was way on. we have beat miami like the last 10 times weve played them! we had a hard night were missing a key player and clearly...very clearly marcus was not at his best!!!!! that does not mean that one day we arent going to beat usc's trash...theres always next year. but I do hope they beat texas...I hate texas

Anonymous said...

Oh J, You must let me know next time you head to Las Vegas. I'LL SHOW YOU VEGAS! One word: Drais!...TEN AND OH MY GOSH! The Suns rock, what school is this kid going to? I'll definately be attending some games in the T-Dome...Did you know your word verification makes it really hard on your dyslexic friends and sometimes messes with their posts?...I got a big smile when I read the line "... his path to reclaim the mandate of the 2004 Presidential election." His mandate, that's great...You should come up for the Rams game. We NEED to win this one and make a statement...At first I thought you were going to say your connection to USC was that your maternal grandfather went to SC Dental School (and I would have laughed again), but the story is very touching. You know you have a friend who worked for the Mariners over four seasons don't you? He also worked for Coldplay and Tool. Anyway, great story, now I'll root for them too!..Did you ever find out what JONG means?

Good luck with the flags Jake!

P.S. (laughing again) Look, I love the shoutouts to the fam and friends, and I can deal with Scalia book reviews, and I've always been able to deal with your cookie fetish. I just have to ask...Does this guy know how to party or what? I still find it hard to believe that you hate halloween and cell phones, Andy Rooney Jr. What's next, complaining about the price of stamps? Or that small print on prescriptions? Way to keep it spicy, champ!

Fernando said...

I posted this under the wrong area, so I'm re-posting it...

Jake,

I still can't believe how much you follow your high school football team. How many years has it been? ;-) I'm glad to see that R. Parks made the list; her *small* act proved to bring about big changes (it reminds me of a familiar verse in the BoM: Alma 37:6).

As for pizzokies, ah... I love BJ's. Another great restaurant to come out of Southern California (and OC in this case). I couldn't resist. I had to mention that.

I'm glad to hear you made it home safely. Unfortunately, some of my friends did not. Things are looking brighter for them, though.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jake! What no B-day posts?

Fernando said...

Well, I guess between texting Jake and the Facebook, a lot of people have told him happy birthday. Well, nonetheless, hope you had a good one and I'll see ya later tonight.

Anonymous said...

I guess Fernando just doesn't understand what Big Nine football is all about, huh Jake! As you are well aware Jake, i went and watched your "boys in blue" play the state prelim game yesterday. They are impressive, but i have to say that i think they appear a bit on the calky side. Their sideline behaviour is that of a team that thinks that each game is in the bag. This kind of attitude loses playoff games. Luckily they got a wake up call from CV last night as they scored 16 unanswered points on them to start the 2nd half. Maybe this will help wash away the attitude and prepare them for what could be a good run into the playoffs. Mead is next, bring it!!

matt said...

For all the web-forum newcomers: JONG=Jerkoff New Guy. Any and all JONGs must receive the obligatory FLAME before being accepted into our tight-knit community of semi-anonymous ribbing.

Anonymous said...

jake, pizookies should have been so much higher on the list!! that's one of the things i miss most about california. maybe we should start a petition to get one built out here in provo? (along with baja fresh and in 'n out) and random question (kind of) but are your maternal grandparents related to trent torgersen? because then i totally know them. (trent went to USC dental school with my dad) weird, the connections you find out here at BYU.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jake-
They sell Pizookies at Costco...

StatCounter