18 November 2005

BYU vs. Utah (& Cougars vs. Huskies)

Calling all predictions

I mentioned in this week's Top 10 that I picked BYU to win by 2.5. With Ute QB Brian Johnson out, BYU seems to be the consensus pick. I'd be interested to know everyone else's take on the game.

Also, in Modern Germany today one of the students arrived decked out in red Utah gear. Dr. Kerry asked him about it and I asked if perhaps he had lost a bet. He insisted that he was a "die hard" Ute fan and Dr. Kerry suggested that was probably how Utah would lose on Saturday. Good natured jabs aside, what is a BYU student doing wearing Utah gear? I can understand a BYU fan cheering for Utah against anyone else--but against your own school? Can you be that jaded about BYU football? Where is the loyalty?

Seattle-ites: Do they still play football at the University of Washington? Pullman? Is anyone paying attention to this game? Is anyone going to attend? Who will win? Utah papers have had innumerable articles about the BYU vs. U of U matchup. The three Seattle-area papers I read have had virtually nothing about the UW vs. WSU game. What gives? Predictions?

5 comments:

Fernando said...

Cheering for your rivalry school when you're playing them seems to demonstrate your lack of loyalty to you alma mater. I don't think anybody would disagree with that.

On a similar note, this morning, I was able to be part of the Channel 2 News & Fox News morning shows. They were doing a BYU v. Utah fan club competition. So, bright and early this morning around 5:45 AM, members of Cougar United, the BYU cheer squad, and the lovely Cougarettes were out at Brigham Square cheering out hearts out.

It was especially funny was one of the girls from CU & a cheerleader in the Cosmobile began to publicly deride students wearing red. It was all in good humor, of course.

If you have a free minute, Channel 2 news will be back from 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM today to film again. It was lots of fun and this time you don't have to freeze your tail off.

Go Cougs!

Anonymous said...

BYU - 31
Utah - 20

Yesterday a guy walked into the Tanner Building wearing a bright red U of U sweatshirt and all the E&Y people made fun of him. Even the lone U of U grad who was there with us told him that he was "not cool." Plus the guy was wearing shorts. I will let you draw your own conclusions on that.

Anonymous said...

I would say you're wrong, Jake. But you had some explanation about why you think we'll win. So I say, we'll win by .5.

Thanks for giving me hope.

Fernando said...

After watching yesterday's game, I have to wonder if BYU really showed up for the first half of the football game. The fact that the Ute defense held our offense to a measly three points was pathetic. I knew our defense wasn't very good, but seriously, how many times did the let the Ute QB run the ball? It was a difficult game to watch the first half.

BYU definitely played much better the second half, but it's too bad they didn't come out on top. Why is it that BYU has such difficulty playing against Utah? That's what I'd like to know...

Anonymous said...

Here's my thing. I am a big fan of BYU, always have been, born in the blue, but I really don't get this whole rivalry importance thing. Maybe it's because my high school never had a strong rivalry, but what is it about a rival game that makes it all important? Why aren't BYU students this crazy about every other game? If you have the answer, please let me know.

StatCounter