23 November 2005

BYU vs. WSU

I don't know how many games (pre-season or otherwise) BYU Men's bball has played in Provo this year, but I haven' been to one. Tonight, however, we drove 2 hours north to Spokane to watch the BYU Cougars play the WSU Cougars.

We sat just down the row from Trent Plaisted's dad who apparently grew up in the same town as my old man. Despite some homecooking from the officials (he had 4 fouls while the guy he was defending had 0) he had a good game. The entire team, for that matter, had a good game.

I was quick to write off a team that listed freshmen as two of its best players (Lee Cummard & Trent Plaisted) and a walk-on (Brock Reichner) as one of its starters. I may have been too hasty. They surged to an early lead and held it all game--winning by 8.

One friend of my brother who attends WSU told us to watch out for #12 because he was the "people's champ." Well, #12 scored 3 points in this losing effort and looked more like a chump. I think WSU fans might better spend their time watching less WSU bball and listening to less Paul Wall and more time driving to Spokane and watching Gonzaga.

In case you missed it, the 'Zags beat Maryland on Monday and Michigan St. in triple overtime on Tuesday. I'm going to go ahead and predict that they will make a lot of noise come March. So will UW for that matter...

Tough luck for Utah. I know, I know, they will probably go to the Emerald Bowl, but in the hierarchy of Bowls, it's no Fiesta Bowl--or Las Vegas Bowl for that matter. I mean, they beat BYU and still get the snub from the Vegas Bowl crowd. Ouch.

No comments:

StatCounter