14 November 2005

The Upper 10

Between grading American Heritage tests and writing a paper that was due two weeks go, I pause to bring you this week's Top 10. On a personal note, thanks to all who wished me Happy Birthday* this last week.

1. Marc Sitterud
Two weeks ago Marc played former BYU Athletic Director Val Hale in the Cascade golf course tournament. He won. Last Friday he played Val's brother for the championship. With two holes to go, Marc locked up the course championship while the brother Hale expressed the negative self-talk of the voices in his head and cussed his every bad shot. On Saturday our flag football team played Val Hale's son-in-law's team--the Mighty Ducks. While Hale obnoxiously complained to the officials the entire game, Marc made throw after throw and Jared Meibos made catch after catch en route to an overtime victory and a spot in the Elite 8. Has any one man ever so completely dominated a family the way Marc did the family Hale? I think not. Props also to Ryan Howes for making a key one-handed grab and another crucial catch on 4th down. For our game schedule this week click here.

2. Seattle Seahawks
I debated about whether or not to list Shaun Alexander independent of the team but decided that would be bad karma. Shaun did his thing rushing for 165 yards and 3 TDs. He will undoubtedly win the rushing title and could potentially break the record (it could happen). Not to be overlooked was the play of the defense. With Bulger, Bruce and Holt all back together for the first time in weeks and Marshall Faulk having his best game of the season, one might guess that the Rams would score a lot of points--they didn't. It wasn't until the 4th Quarter when the game was no longer in doubt, that the Rams finally found the end zone. At 7-2 these 'Hawks look like contenders.

3. Cougar Football
I continue to call for Curtis Brown to win MWC Player of the Year. On Saturday he had 153 yards rushing and 24 receiving and scored 2 TDs. The only thing I can't figure out is why we weren't doing this a the beginning of the year. At 6-4 BYU is bowl eligible and will undoubtedly get an invite if for no other reason than the fact that BYU fans tend to travel well (San Diego St., UNLV, Notre Dame). However, I hate to think that we have to count a win against a D-II school as one of our 6 qualifying wins. I wont be satisfied unless we beat Utah. I've long said (and still believe) that BYU could lose every other game, beat Utah, and I would be happy. Since coming to BYU as a freshman way back in the fall of '99 I've attended 4 BYU-Utah games and I've yet to see the Cougars win. I hate to think that I could graduate without seeing BYU beat Utah. Despite the gift-wrapped excuse given to Utah fans with the loss of QB Brian Johnson I still see this being a close game. Call it BYU by 2.5.

4. Deadlocked
On Friday night Mike Lowe and his band Deadlocked died a premature death. It was to be their finaly show and they called it a funeral and asked people to wear black. I wore white to protest, to no effect. It was a great show, if a little underattended (owing to the distance) and a good way to end a great run. Thanks to Mike Lowe and the rest of Deadlocked for giving me and the rest of the still-single folk of Provo something to do on the weekends for the past couple years.

5. Otis Spunkmeyer Cookies
Back in the high school glory days the Southridge business class used to bake Otis Spunkmeyer cookies in the school store and sell them to me and the other mindless masses at 3/$1. I was never a fat kid (the opposite actually) growing up, but I do remember getting headaches when I wouldn't get my daily dose of OSC. This is one addiction (don't worry mom, there aren't any others) I'm happy to renew. Every Sunday night my roommate Marc bakes a batch of these delicious treats and I try and eat them all before anyone can get one. Now THAT'S a tradition.

6. Into the Blue
If you haven't seen this masterful performance by Paul Walker, you should. On Saturday night Matt and I finally had a chance to review this latest Academy Award-caliber achievement and we were not disappointed. Riveting dialogue, captivating action and ample opportunities to ogle Jessica Alba... what more can you ask for? Into the Blue? Two thumbs way up.

7. Rain in the Valley means Snow in the Mountains
Ski season is right around the corner and I've got the itch. We bought our passes nearly three months ago and on the 17th Alta opens for the season. My personal record is 50 ski days. Graduation permitting, maybe I'll exceed that total this winter.

8. USC
They're still the best. And Reggie Bush will win the Heisman. And there is no way Brady Quinn is better than Matt Leinart. Oh, and I told you Alabama would lose. Would someone explain to me, please, why Notre Dame with two losses, is ranked higher Alabama, Oregon, UCLA etc. (and in one poll V-Tech)?

9. Polk Audio
I've blown two of their MM12" subs and they have replaced both of them without question. This is a good company with a great sounding sub. And seriously, can great bass be overrated? What am I listening to as I drive down the road? You mean besides Neil Diamond? Lee Greenwood Christmas, that's what.

10. Josh and Ethan Torgersen
On Saturday my young cousins played in the championship games of their respective football leagues. Matt and I watched both and were proud to see our cousins play hard and well. Remember boys: work hard, play hard.

Also receiving votes:
A-Rod (AL MVP), Rashard Lewis, Amy Grant Christmas, Sorry! (the board game)

*I turned 25 on Tuesday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mr. Lybbert for making me laugh out loud at work. I think the weekly top ten list exceeded the previous high points of my week which included lunch in the same cafeteria as Mr. Jerry Seinfeld as well as bumping into an extremly pregnant Sidney Bristeau, aka Elektra, aka Benifer Garner. I drop these names not to sound important but to try to somewhat make myself feel better about not being able to kick Val Hale's you know what in golf. I bow down to Marc's ability on the links. Too bad for him that this same apptitude does not carry over to the digital realm where he is still my you know what in Tiger Woods Golf as well as fantasy football.

Anonymous said...

I greatly appreciate the top slot on the top 10 list after one "Hale" of week. To Morgan do not worry we shall meet in the digital realm again soon I will be waiting to bask in the light of the computer screen.

Anonymous said...

I also feel the Pump Fake should make the top ten by itself

Anonymous said...

The pump fake actually worked for once eh? I'm pissed I'm not playing with you guys.

StatCounter