28 December 2005

Skiing, Seahawks, Scorpions & Optimism

Even if you don't like the Seahawks, stick with me on this one. Its not completely devoted to sports--some of this post is about games.

Seahawks
The Seahawks are rolling and still I'm forced to respond to detractors (those few still not on the bandwagon). Sure, Peyton and the rest of the starting crew didn't play the whole game. Yes, many starters on defense were injured and did not play. All of this ignores the fact that the 'Hawks were up 14-3 before Manning went to the bench. And if you want to talk about injured defensive starters, how about this stat: the Seahawks defense was missing 3 CBs, 2 LBs, 1 FS, and 1 DT. For more, check out this great article from Mike Sando of the Seattle Times.

Skiing
If you're not someplace warm (like the Carribean) I hope you spend at least some of your break on the slopes. According to my brother (who gives me hourly snow reports), the entire western US is supposed to get a lot of snow for the next week. My home mountain, Alta, always gets more than everyone else. Colorado isn't bad (its definitely big) but I'll take Little Cottonwood any day of the week--especially Tues., Thurs., and Sat. next semester when I don't have class. I wont be able to Ski Utah! till I get back for school, but next week I'll ski Fernie and Red Mountain for the first time and give you a full report.

Optimism
Last week I wrote a fairly scathing review of the BYU v. Cal game and BYU's season in general. I've taken a little heat from some of you and feel a little bad. On the whole I am very optimistic about BYU football. Coach Mendenhall has replaced the malaise surrounding the team with direction and purpose. I think the players believe Bronco and believe in him. Next year the defense will be better--those still there will improve and newcomers will help. Cameron Jensen will no doubt lead a much improved defensive unit. On the offensive side of the ball, the best news is that most of the O-line will return. These guys were definitely the strength of the team. From 2002-4 the lack of depth and experience led to a very weak O-line. With Kuresa as an anchor and the dynamic Reynolds brothers duo, we now have a great line. Where they couldn't seem to block anyone before, now the QBs have time to go through their entire progression and have time to throw it off to their check-down WR if everyone was covered. Curtis Brown is back and he will be even better and Beck will provide leadership and experience. Next year we should win the conference.

Scorpion Watch
Some time ago I introduced something I called the "Scorpion Watch." It was a story in the news that related to the principle taught in the tale of the Scorpion and the bull-frog. This was a tale my roommates of the 105-106 used to explain nearly every situation in life. The first post was about conservatives and taxes. This one is a little more pop cultural. Check out this article by Diane Mapes of the Seattle Times.
(Note: because it's in their archives you will have to register--it's free!--to access it)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This comment is not related to the post however I just wanted to share with everybody one of the best SNL skits I have seen in quite some time. It aired two weeks ago if I recall correctly on the episode with Jack Black. I was at a LAME holiday party and this came on the tv and my night instantly was one for the record books. "Snack Attack Mother @%&*#!" I almost fell over laughing. Anyways here is the link. I still don't know how to write hot links so you will need to copy and paste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=zLElfJ9YCh0

cc said...

nice blog brother... keep up the steady writing. i've been a major slacker on mine...but it's good to see some people representing

StatCounter