04 December 2005

Top 10 Best Christmas Albums Ever

Last week I promised a list of my favorite Christmas music. With 445 songs from 108 artists and 33 different albums comprising one complete day of music (thank you iTunes for that stat), my Top 10 is comprehensive and authoritative.

To be sure of my rankings I've done nothing but listen to Christmas music the entire weekend, spurning invitations to dinner, movies, and other social events. Living on nothing but a steady diet of haribo gummi bears and diet cherry coke, addled by too much Kenny G, I present THE TOP 10 GREATEST CHRISTMAS ALBUMS EVER.

1. Christmas to Christmas - Lee Greenwood
Famous for his patriotic favorite, "God Bless the USA" (you know you sang it in elementary school) this country artist produced the best Christmas album ever. From "Tennesse Christmas" to "Lonestar Christmas" this one is a classic

2. Home for Christmas - Amy Grant
"Breath of Heaven" is the signature song from this album that is a favorite of my roommate Marc--he's a big Amy Grant fan.

3. When My Heart Finds Christmas - Harry Connick Jr.
Not to be confused with the imposter, Michael Buble, this master of big band, jazz, and the silver screen (awesome performance in "Independence Day") is best known for "It Must Have Been 'Ol Santa Claus." This is my brother Matt's favorite.

4. An Airus Christmas - Kurt Bestor
More religious than the Top 3, the best songs on this album are "Coventry Carol" and "What Child Is This."

5. Once Upon A Christmas - Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton
For all you young kids enjoying holiday romances, try this selection from Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. You say you've never heard of Kenny Rogers? Ask your parents. "A Christmas to Remember" and "Christmas Without You" are the best.

6. Faith - A Holiday Album - Kenny G
Good album, just don't listen to it repeatedly. Oh, and if you haven't seen it already, Jon Stewart did a great parity of Kenny G in a SNL sketch a few years ago. Download it.

7. White Christmas - Bing Crosby
The Godfather of Christmas music and Christmas movies. Before "National Lampoons Christmas Vacation" there was "White Christmas." Was he the first to sing "The Christmas Song"?

8. Making Spirits Bright - Dean Martin
This Rat Pack member gets credit for having the best version of "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm"--popularized by Elf. Check it out.

9. Christmas with the Beach Boys - The Beach Boys
Call this a concession and a shout out to all my friends from SoCal. My mom likes this album too. "Merry Christmas, Baby" is the star-track.

10. Reggie Bush for Heisman
He doesn't have a Christmas Album, but my guess is that if he did, it would be a winner. Maybe we could try putting his Fresno St. highlights together with selected tracks from "A Tribe Called Quest" and call it a Christmas special. I know I would watch it.

Also: Kent wanted me to mention 98 Degree Christmas but I put a moratorium on boy bands. Sorry Kent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After being hassled to make a comment on your blog, I have to say I am writing to defend one of my new, up and coming, favorite singers… Michael Buble (hailing from Vancouver.) He sings some of music’s most enduring songs. How great is it that he can sing renditions of Van Morrison and Lou Rawl? He even sings a Bee Gee’s classic, “How Can You Mend a Broken Heart,” actually sung on his album with the Bee Gee’s. Yes, he may sound a bit like Harry Connick, but honestly can every single person have their own completely unique style without sounding like someone these days? And come on Jake, that’s a pretty rash judgment considering you have only heard him once.

Plus...his song "Home" just melts a girl's heart.

Anonymous said...

I think Miracle by Kenny G is the better of his christmas albums. maybe thats just me though.

StatCounter