22 February 2006

BYU Football - Jason Munns

I haven't written much about BYU football since the disappointing end to the 2005 season because, quite frankly, there hasn't been much to write.

Signing Day for recuits has come and gone and by all indications it was a smashing success. But then, what school from the University of Idaho Vandals to the University of Southern California Trojans doesn't call their recruiting class the "best ever?"

Here's the first of several topics/articles that have caught my attention.

Jason Munns of the Southridge Suns
(subscription required or email me with article requests)

I first wrote about this high school QB last fall
and as a disclaimer I need to mention that Southridge is my high school alma mater. Suns football was the #1 4A team in the state for much of the year last fall and they were led by one of the best QB's in junior Jason Munns.

Unfortunately they met an early end in the first round of the playoffs. My sources tell me overconfidence played a pretty big role in the loss. It was a classic case, they had been so good all year they thought they could show up and win.

Total Blue Sports printed a good article about Munns about ten days ago soon after BYU offered him a scholarship.

His stats are impressive: 2,300 yards, 32 touchdowns, 8 interceptions, 5 rushing touchdowns, and 62% pass completion. After the good year he has heard from the likes of SC, Notre Dame, Arizona St., Washington, Florida, Michigan, Washington St., and BYU. Thus far only the last two have officially offered scholarships.

Fortunately for BYU fans, Munns isn't in love with Utah like he seemed in his last interview.
“My family is split between Utah and BYU fans,” Munns said. “I have family in Utah, but I’ve never been to a BYU football game. I don’t have a favorite between BYU or Utah, I just enjoy all good football.”
One source said that Coach Tyrone Willingham (UW) was in attendance at Southridge High School's fall sports awards banquet. My brother and sometime OL&L contributor Matt thinks Munns will end up deciding between the two state schools with his most likely destination being UW. Munns doesn't seem set on a mission so some schools who might be scared away by 2 year church service are still interested. In my humble opinion, Munns is at least as good as "the Clausen kid from California." He just doesn't get as much hype.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Munns has received an offer from Arizona State.

Anonymous said...

Jason has received an offer from Utah delivered by Coach Whittingham while on a visit last week. He spent part of Thursday and most of Friday at Utah.

Anonymous said...

I heard Nortre Dame calling his name!

StatCounter