21 January 2006

Matt Hasselbeck: Best QB Still in the Playoffs

Every day I read the sports page of the three Seattle area newspapers. The Seattle P-I, Seattle Times, and Tacoma News-Tribune all have their strengths. Amidst all the articles (including a Sports Illustrated cover in the Northwest) lauding Matt Hasselbeck's virtues as a QB was this gem reporting little known facts from his offensive linemen.

"Things you didn't know about Matt Hasselbeck (but his linemen do)" by Molly Yanity, reproduced here in full.
__________
There are tidbits about the Seahawks quarterback that only his offensive linemen know. They share them with the P-I:

Walter Jones


"As a person, he looks out for us. He's one of those rare, great guys who really takes care of his offensive linemen. He is always trying to have fun and always trying to keep us in a good mood. It's important to him -- just keeping you up. If you need a laugh or a pick-up, you know you can go to Matt. He's a joker and plays practical jokes, but it's not just about football. You can go to him with anyone."

Robbie Tobeck

"The truth be known, Matt is the biggest dork on the team. Seriously. He's the biggest dork. He's a likable guy still, but Matt is good at the obvious joke. There again, it's like, 'Ha ha, everyone already thought of that.' He's always late with the punch line. But he tries hard. He tries really, really hard and that's kind of what makes him a dork. And, I'm not sure if you knew this about him, but Matt is also bald."

(Hasselbeck heard about the interview and informed this reporter that team president Tim Ruskell will be throwing Tobeck a surprise retirement party when the season ends.)

Chris Gray

"I hear he's particular about his nails. I'm not sure if he goes so far as to get manicures, but he clear-coats them and is into his cuticles and stuff."

(Hasselbeck actually interrupted this interview and showed off his hands. "I don't paint my nails! During the season last year, I'd put nail-strengthener on my middle finger (on his right hand) because I'd keep that nail long to help with spirals. I don't have manicures, geesh!" Gray nodded with a knowing smile at this interruption.)
__________
The game will be played this Sunday at 3:30pm PST (that's 4:30pm MST for those of you math challenged readers) at Qwest Field and will be broadcast on Fox. I promised the football gods my firstborn if they deliver the win and go on to the Superbowl. You can't beat that kind of karma.

No comments:

StatCounter